Today marks the beginning of my second week at the fabulous Los Angeles PR firm, Konnect Public Relations. After going back to my roots in Birmingham, Alabama, a few years have passed since I last lived in this amazing city, however I have not forgotten many of the major things that make Hollywood so unique.
Top 10 things I always knew about LA, but have been quickly reinforced since I moved back…
- Food – The food is amazing! I have yet to consume a mediocre meal here. Avocados on everything? Sure, why not! At this public relations agency, we represent several food and beverage brands, so this place definitely keeps us full and focused!
- Parking – You are not invincible. ALWAYS read the signs. They will not hesitate to ticket and unfortunately, I had to learn this the hard way. 🙁
- Driving Etiquette – Sadly lacked by many drivers on the roads out here in Southern California. When the light turns green, you best be ready to put the petal to the medal, otherwise you will without a doubt get honked at. Also, public transportation doesn’t realize they’re supposed to stay on their side of the line, so watch out.
- Shopping– No, Rodeo Drive and Robertson Boulevard are not the only places we have to go to shop. My new favorites are The Grove and Beverly Center, but the shopping is endless!
- Weather – Probably the number one selling point on getting me back out here, the amazing climate that California has to offer! Frizzy hair is no more and being from the South, I know firsthand the effects of just how ugly humidity can get!
- Entertainment – Whether you’re into TV, movies, music, fashion, it’s ALL around you. Don’t be surprised if they’re filming something on the side of the road!
- Sweet Tooth Heaven – I’m a sucker for sugar and can’t get enough of the sweet treats out here. Sprinkles, Pinkberry, Diddy Riese, Crumbs Bake Shop, YogurtLand…you name it, it’s all right there!
- Healthy Lifestyle – To combat our sweet indulgences, thankfully Los Angeles promotes a healthy exercise lifestyle as well. Since it doesn’t get dark until late over here, running outside after work is no problem. My favorite routes are in and out of Beverly Hills, Melrose and of course Runyon Canyon. Spinning, yoga and other exercise classes are always on trend as well.
- Pet Approved – The pooch is the new accessory. No need to find a dogsitter, the pup is free to go with you wherever you want! Malls, boutiques, restaurants, salons…every pet is welcome!
- Opportunity – In LA, I’ve noticed the majority of the population is either an actor or working in public relations. The girls at this PR agency know where it’s at and lead the industry in pitching and product placement.
My new career out here has been a wonderful adventure thus far. My first tasks involved generating media lists in Egypt, Pakistan and Australia..no big deal! I’m thrilled to work with these classy LA publicists and can’t wait to see what the future holds! Have a great rest of the week!
Your California enthusiast,