Starting a new job, especially at a PR agency, is a time of optimism and limitless potential! The first days can be a head rush of excitement, engagement and disorientation. It doesn’t come as a surprise that changing jobs is ranked among the highest stresssers in a person’s life. In celebration of my 1 month anniversary today (yes it’s a thing), I thought I would share a few tips I’ve learned while starting at Konnect PR.
1. Be a geek about introducing yourself. Take the initiative to meet people. Say hello in the elevator, kitchen, bathroom or just walk up to their desk. Find common interests with your new co-workers, like love of cats.
2. Go in ready to learn. Even if you are a rock star, you are bound to learn something new from co-workers and managers. Be a sponge and absorb everything you can, it will make you a better publicist.
3. Get early wins. Those first impressions matter and are highly visible. Pitch like a beast your first day and you will thank yourself later.
4. Get to know your co-workers strengths. Figuring out who is best at pitching print, business or broadcast will be your road map to success.
5. Figure out the coffee situation. Coffee is like water to a publicist, but also comes with hundred of unwritten rules. Learn who uses which creamer in which fridge and which creamers are communal. Don’t want to upset a co-worker before their first cup of joe.
Most importantly be confident, be yourself, work hard and have some fun! It has been a whirlwind starting at Konnect PR, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.