As public relations professionals, we write roughly a million emails everyday. We are constantly involved in back and forth conversations, reaching out to new contacts, sending out introductions and doing tons pitching– it never ends! That being said, it’s extremely important to not only be able to respond quickly and effectively to all your incoming emails, but to also write well written and professional emails back. Check out my top tips for writing a killer email, no matter who your recipient is:
- Always make sure you’re sending it to the correct people. Double check that you didn’t add someone accidentally– especially a person who may have the same first letter in their name as the person you’re meaning to send it to. Auto-correct/ auto-fill can at times be your enemy!
- Don’t forget to be personable, yet, professional. It never hurts to start your emails with a friendly greeting and never forget to leave a nice signature so people know how to get back in touch with you.
- If you’re emailing the person for the first time, make sure to introduce yourself.
- Re-read the body of your email– is it clear and concise? Are you leaving anything out?
- ALWAYS PROOFREAD– edit your email before you click send. Check for spelling and grammar mistakes.
Most of these sound obvious, but when you’re inundated with emails, busy and rushing, it’s easy to make little mistakes that can add up. Happy emailing!