It has almost been two months since I started my internship journey here at Konnect Public Relations and I couldn’t be happier with my experience thus far. Everyone is so kind, helpful and willing to show the ropes of the public relations world. Konnect PR and all of its staff has an immense wealth of knowledge and I’m incredibly grateful for being able to learn from everyone here and be a part of the team.
With that being said, here are a few tips and tricks of the internship/PR world!
- Always be on time! This is something I initially struggled with considering I live exceptionally far from L.A., but I have overtime mastered the art of public transportation and commuting. Always give yourself wiggle room to and from work. Remember: being early is being on time and being on time is late. It’s always better to be safe than sorry! The early bird gets the worm, right?
- Be proactive! Don’t always wait for people to give you tasks. Become helpful and ask if anyone has anything you can work on or take off their plate. Plus, being proactive is always a wonderful quality to have in an office setting. “Brownie points” are always a good thing!
- Under promise, over deliver! It’s always important to exceed others’ expectations.
- Network, network, network! You never know when you might need a co-worker’s help in landing a full-time job with the company you’re interning with or quite possibly your dream company elsewhere. Building contacts is the essence of a career in public relations.
- Keep track of all the work you complete! Maintaining a professional portfolio is definitely a must for landing a career in the PR world. If you have tangible evidence of work that you’ve completed or created, it’s much easier to convince management that your work and experience is worth something.
- Become friendly and eat with your co-workers! At first, I was intimidated by the office culture because everyone seemed to be so close and outgoing. In my first week, I kept to myself and ate at my desk alone because it was easy. Once I went out of my comfort zone to eat with others and chat during lunch, I cultivated meaningful relationships and enjoyed work much more.
- Don’t be afraid to speak up! Attend brainstorm sessions and let your ideas and opinion be heard. This will show your value and prove to others that you deserve a position on their team. Great ideas can come from anywhere and anything, including the intern!
- Ask for feedback! It’s necessary to gain insight from supervisors and co-workers in order to grow during your internship. Plus, it shows that you aren’t afraid of a little bit of constructive criticism and tough love. It’ll only better your skills and mold you into a better employee in the future.
- Ask questions and LEARN! It’s important to always ask questions and gain clarification on assignments if you’re unsure of something. Learning is the sole purpose of your internship, so soak up all of the knowledge around you to prepare for your future career within that company or elsewhere. Remember: knowledge is power!
I hope these simple tips and tricks will help you excel within your current or future internships! I leave you with this: there are no secrets to success. It is a result of preparation, hard work and learning from failure. So, work hard because nothing worth having comes easy!