Working in public relations brings endless perks – cool events, celebrity interaction, esteemed connections – to name a few. And while there are glamorous and thrilling aspects to the job, no career is without its woes. When publicists are at their wits end and they’ve exhausted their complaints to fellow employees and managers, there is always a friendly place that will welcome them with open arms – the I Work in PR Tumblr page.
Publicists suffer the issue of explaining their job in every small talk situation; even our parents have a hard time understanding what we do on a daily basis [cue friend: “so….it’s like advertising?”]. But any savvy publicist knows where to find the Holy Grail of commiserating allies. I Work in PR is the understanding bae, bottomless whiskey and fluffy therapy dog that every publicist needs after a long week.
Where your friends and family can’t empathize with you, I Work in PR envelops you and whispers “Shhh, you’re not alone.” In a community more emotionally charged than Alcoholics Anonymous, there is truly no post that a publicist can’t identify with. A goldmine of hilariously brain-melting media, client and colleague situations, below are the top 7 posts that will make every publicist say, “Same.”.
1. When you pitch a product roundup to a reporter and they include every product in the story, except your client’s
2. When you have to tell a client that you’re still following up with a month’s long opportunity
3. When a reporter replies to your pitch with anger or insults
4. When the receptionists won’t put you through to national media reporters
5. When a reporter you’ve pitched repeatedly emails the client’s general press email directly asking for an interview
6. Reading a positive story on any of your clients’ competitors
7. When you spend your whole PTO worrying about your accounts