For any company, ensuring the flow of business as usual is maintained during the summer months can be challenging. Whether at a public relations agency like Konnect where timeliness of our efforts is of the utmost importance or at any business for that matter, when vacation requests and summer activities kick off, people are unreachable and out of office, so it can be challenging to maintain productivity.
Following are five tips to aid in getting things done seamlessly this summer when you are short-handed or prepping for a vacation:
- Setting checkpoints. Whether big or small, never stop compiling that to-do list. It’s especially helpful when choosing to lay out your day, week or month so as not to lose sight of your goals and what needs to be accomplished. If you know you’ll be out of the office and something is due during the period in which you’re away – having a solid to-do list will ensure those important tasks get completed before you go.
- Find your flow. We all have different styles of working that contribute to our individual success. Need coffee? Want to listen to music? Need to avoid those things altogether – figure it out and find your personal flow. Once found, you’ll be able to work more efficiently and have a better shot at achieving those previously set checkpoints.
- Eliminate distractions. If you know checking social media or surfing your favorite lifestyle site will take you down a rabbit hole of distraction, don’t do it. Set aside a chunk of time or chunks of time throughout the day in which you eliminate those things that guide you off course. To stay true to getting those checkpoints completed in a timely manner, anticipate how long you’ll need to complete a task and set that time aside, distraction-free. Alternatively, it’s just as important to know distractions will oftentimes happen and to allow a small window of time to take a break and address those things that inevitably arise.
- Stay connected. With your team, with your clients, and with current events. While as publicists, it is our job to stay timely and on-trend, it can be tough to do so when out of town. Summer is no reason to be less “on it” – so make sure you stay connected. Whether it’s via an app or subscribed alerts, don’t miss any crucial announcements that pop up. Additionally, it’s equally important to stay in touch with your team members. If you are away while major, breaking news occurs – if you’re in touch with your team, they can take care of it in your absence. Over-communicate and ensure that everyone is on the same page. Whether you’re in office, out of office, etc. – business can proceed as usual without anyone skipping a beat.
- Hold yourself accountable. Pick a “buddy” or team member, and proclaim your goals and to-dos out loud. This will assure that you hold yourself accountable for the things that need to be done and will also prove useful in having someone else around who ensures you stay on task. It’s a win-win for both parties, as they’ll gain the same advantage in exchange.
The biggest takeaway is to not to let summer be an excuse for letting your work suffer. Hopefully, these tips are useful in helping you maintain habits for working hard so you can also play hard on that next vacation or summer outing.