As everyone in the hectic world of Public Relations knows, securing coverage for your client is a demanding task. After doing all your research, pitching all the possible outlets you can think of and covering each unique angle out there—you might make the mistake of thinking your job is done. What’s left, you ask? Only one of the most important keys to securing coverage—THE FOLLOW UP!
Following up your pitch with an email or phone call is crucial to your success in a PR agency because it’s so easy for your pitch to get lost in the hustle and bustle of other people’s work lives. People forget, lose track of time and often appreciate a little reminder that they forgot to respond to something. The media is swamped with emails 24/7, so following up could be the only way to ensure your pitch is read! It’s frequently the case that Public Relations professionals don’t hear back from their contact until they follow up— so don’t be shy to drop a short and sweet reminder 3-5 days after you originally sent your pitch.
Here are a few tips when following up:
- Don’t be pushy. Remember that people are extremely busy and may be on a deadline that you don’t know about.
- Be respectful and courteous when speaking with your contact. Be sure to offer up a better time to speak if the current one isn’t a good time for him/her.
- Know what you’re going to say before you pick up the phone.
- A compliment never hurt anyone.
- Don’t be annoying, but DO be persistent.
- Think of yourself as a resource to journalists, writers or reporters—they have to have material to cover at all times, so make sure they know what you’re pitching!
- Don’t forget to say “thank you!”
Good luck and happy pitching!
Written by Chelsea Davis