Being in public relations is a fast-paced, high intensity lifestyle, and sometimes it can feel like there are no days off because the media never sleeps. Keeping your personal life and professional life equally satisfying can be a challenge when you’re wound up from work and then you want to enjoy your personal time outside of work. Sometimes, it can be hard to mentally exit the office causing you to take the stress of the day into your personal life. The key to keeping a balanced perspective on your day is learning to keep your stress in check.
In the three years I’ve been pursuing a career in marketing and public relations, I have found a few ways to make sure the stress doesn’t take over and I get a little more enjoyment out of my days.
- Pause and think about whether what you are stressed about will matter a month from now. If it will, then prioritize it as something to start or complete first so you can immediately find the best solution for a greater outcome instead of dwelling on what might happen.
- One of the requirements for being successful in this industry is that you must be organized and manage time appropriately. Set realistic expectations and task lists per day to ensure you accomplish something that will move you forward. Focus on tackling big projects first and small tasks once you’ve taken some time to do what is most important and urgent.
- Disconnect after work. This is hard to do when part of your mindshare is dedicated to your work, but take a moment to silence your phone and do something that doesn’t require tons of brain power. My go-to is cooking!
- Get a workout in! Take your stress out during a workout class because after you’re done, you will not only feel great about burning calories, but you’ll also mentally feel free. My go-to is an intense boot camp with cardio and weights.
- Socialize, without talking about work or anything else that may trigger stress. Grab drinks or dinner with friends and laugh about great memories or talk about your plans and all to come for the future and awaken your inspiration and excitement.
- Get your beauty rest! It’s so important to force your mind to shut down and rest to get up rejuvenated.
- Remember, tomorrow is another day, no need to stress today! Look forward, always!